Center for Health, Environment and Justice Seeks Campaign Coordinator
Child Proofing Our Communities
Position Opening and Campaign Background
The Center for Health, Environment & Justice (CHEJ) seeks a dynamic, bold individual to work in a groundbreaking organizing/public education climate. The CHEJ Child Proofing our Communities (CPOC) Campaign Coordinator will work at the nexis of the daily environments where children’s lives and health intersect.
Through community organizing, coalition building, corporate campaigns and our Green Flag School Program for youth, the CPOC campaign seeks to move schools, homes, public places, recreational outlets (such as Disney World) and neighborhood communities to take proactive approaches to prevent harmful toxins and chemicals from impacting children health and development.
CPOC currently is heavily invested in working in three key states: New Jersey, Maryland and Florida.
Position Reports to and is accountable to the Executive Director.
Main Responsibilities for Childproofing Our Communities Coordinator:
• Coordinate the campaign by assessing the need for and strategic planning of: issue campaigns; working groups; trainings; and collaborative projects.
• Facilitate working groups and collaborative projects with a continual focus on building leadership within and strengthening of grassroots organizations;
• Provide community organizing assistance over the phone and in person;
• Maintain the campaign list-serves;
• Supervise the Childproofing Our Communities Coordinator Assistant/s
• Manage the Green Flag School Program for Environmental Leadership.
• Provide training, as needed in communities and/or at other events;
• Identify opportunities to bring groups together to share, develop collective strategies, and enhance their understanding of community organizing and/or environmental health issues;
• Provide conference call training, as needed, for communities and local organizations from a diversity of regions.
• Assist in writing joint publications with CHEJ Science staff and/or partner organizations on issues that advance the campaign and support CHEJ members;
• Work with CHEJ Media Officer to develop and implement strategies engaging local and national press and on line news publications regarding the work, scope and impact of CPOC;
• Provide bi-monthly progress reports of activities and trends experienced for the purposes of programmatic and fundraising decisions;
• Complete contact sheets for database and follow-up opportunities.
• Three years organizing/program coordination experience preferred.
• Ability to work with a diversity of people.
• Excellent organizational, oral, and written communication skills required.
• Attention to detail and follow-through.
• Coalition-building experience,
• Familiarity with issues,
• Fluency in Spanish a plus
• Supervisory experience.
Position located in East Falls Church, VA, 9 miles outside of Washington, DC.
Resume and cover letter can be sent to Sharon Franklin, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: December 31, 2007
The Center for Health, Environment & Justice exists to mentor the movement to build healthier communities by empowering people to prevent harm in as many ways, and for as many people, as possible. We believe this can happen when people and groups have the power to play an integral role in promoting human health and environmental integrity. CHEJ’s role is to provide the tools, the direction, and the encouragement to these people and groups, so that they can build strong, healthy communities where they live, work, learn, shop, play and pray. Following her successful effort to prevent further harm for the people living in contaminated Love Canal, Lois Gibbs founded CHEJ in 1981 in order to continue mentoring others seeking to prevent harm. CHEJ provides mentoring assistance to communities, homeowners, families and individuals throughout the country
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Center for Health, Environment and Justice Seeks Campaign Coordinator:
I wanted to let you know about the Nonprofit December Giving Carnival. Deadline to submit your post is Dec. 20th.
Here is the link,
Let me know if you have any questions.
Posted by: Christopher Scott at Dec 16, 2007 9:59:50 PM