Open Space Institute Seeks Communications Coordinator
OPEN SPACE INSTITUTE
The mission of the Open Space Institute (OSI) is to protect scenic, natural and historic landscapes to ensure public enjoyment, conserve habitats and sustain community character. OSI achieves its goals through land acquisition, conservation easements, special loan programs, and creative partnerships. OSI is seeking a Communications Manager to assist with the marketing and business development of the organization and its three core programs: Land Acquisition; Conservation Loans; and the Conservation Institute.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for written, verbal, and visual communications including print, electronic publishing, publicity, advertising, and press materials. The Communications Manager works with the entire OSI staff, and reports to the Vice President, External Affairs. The Communications Manager will maintain contact with OSI trustees and advisors.
1. Direct the production of key communications (involving planning, writing and/or editing with contract writers), including annual report, newsletter, institute summaries, interpretive materials such as brochures and project descriptions, and some web content.
2. Provide communication support for staff. Ensure consistency of messaging for staff and maintain OSI’s editorial and graphic standards.
3. Manage supplemental vendor relations in a positive, cost-effective and timely manner.
4. Will assist with website maintenance changes, help create website content and work with staff to generate website materials.
1. Respond to media inquiries, schedule and coordinate press events as needed. Develop ideas and opportunities for local, regional and national press coverage.
2. Serve as an official spokesperson for the Open Space Institute.
3. Work with all staff as needed to craft complex content into clearly understood messages.
4. Develop and execute strategic media relations program.
5. Maintains media contact lists and histories and maintains regular contact and positive relationships with selected journalists.
1. Ensure OSI’s brand is well articulated and represented within all communications.
2. Support marketing initiatives with marketing communications strategy and execution.
3. Oversee maintenance of OSI’s visual library, including maintaining photo files and working with staff to generate maps.
Skills and Abilities
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communications skills.
• Must be a self-starter, who is able to establish priorities and meet multiple deadlines.
• Ability to comprehend complex issues.
• Ability to manage professional and support staff as well as consultants, and advise senior staff where appropriate.
• Must be able to move seamlessly between working independently and as part of a team.
• Track record of producing local, regional and national press coverage.
• Experience in overseeing (including production and editing) of high-quality publications.
• Good strategic public relations and media judgement.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• 5 years experience in communications field.
• Knowledge of and experience with environmental and conservation fields.
• Sense of design and presentation aesthetics is a plus.
Applicants should send the following items – cover letter with salary history and requirements; resume; one writing sample not more than three pages; and one press release or one media clip.
Please send to Susan Barbarisi, Open Space Institute, 1350 Broadway, Suite 201, NY, NY 10018, or email to email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Open Space Institute Seeks Communications Coordinator: